Call usEmail us

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

New energy Performance Certificate regulations require that everyone who either buys or newly rents a house, be informed of the calculated energy usage of the house.

What does EPC tell you ?

The EPC tells you, in a diagrammatic form, the energy band into which your house falls on a scale of A to G, a bit like a fridge label (A – very good, costs less than average to heat; G – very poor, costs more to heat).

A = Very efficient

G = Very inefficient

E = Northern Ireland average

The EPC is accompanied by:

A list of cost effective measures that can be undertaken to improve the energy efficiency of the house.

The estimated cost savings for heating, lighting, and hot water that can be made by following each of the measures recommended above.

There is no requirement for anyone to carry out these measures but, if they are carried out, the dwelling will be more energy efficient and will cost less to heat light and provide hot water.

Buying or newly renting a house

Any existing house on sale after 30th June 2008 should have an EPC. The EPC should be available to you when you make an enquiry about the house. It is the responsibility of the person who is selling the house to provide this certificate.

When you buy a house your solicitor should receive the EPC with other legal documents from the seller’s solicitor.

If you are newly renting a home from 30th December 2008 the EPC for the property should be available to you as soon as you express an interest in it. It is the responsibility of the landlord who is offering the property for rental to provide the EPC.

EPCs are valid for 10 years.

What do you do if an EPC is not made available when you buy or rent a house. ?

Vendors and landlords are legally obliged to make available an EPC at the time of purchase or rental. There are regulatory powers to fine those persons who fail to provide an EPC. The fine is £200 for each complaint.

Who can produce an EPC?

The EPC can only be produced by a Government Approved Accredited Assessor.

The accredited Assessor will need to inspect the house and take measurements and gather other information such as the type of construction, heating system, lighting, secondary heating etc.

The assessor will use a specialised computer program to calculate the energy rating of the house based on a standardised occupancy.

Don’t worry the surveying team at Brankins have been passed as an Accredited Assessor so you can trust us to get the job done.

Where are EPCs held ?

EPCs are held on a national database or register, accredited assessors can access the register for the purpose of updating or recalculating the information.

Every EPC has a unique reference number which can be used to check it’s validity.

For more information about EPCs or if you would like to book an EPC visit please do not hesitate to contact us.

Are you paying money to heat the atmosphere ? If you want heat, it will generally cost you money – but is you money being wasted ? Energy in the form of heating oil and gas are increasing in price and electricity is expensive, so you need to make the best use of them.

Is the dwelling you propose to buy or rent energy efficient ? Although newer dwellings are built with high standards of insulation and air tightness and have efficient boilers and heating controls many older dwellings, unless the have been upgraded, are not.

Free independent energy saving advice… For free impartial and independent advice on cost effective sustainable energy improvements to your home you can contact the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre on freephone 0800 512 012.

Contact Brankins for more information or fill out the form on this page to arrange an EPC visit.

Contact us